The average American consumes about 31 teaspoons of sugar per day, which amounts to 496 calories or 20% of their caloric intake. Humans were not designed to eat large amounts of sugar, although we do it every day. These sugary foods adhere to our teeth, stimulate plaque growth, and promote tooth decay.
Xylitol is a five-carbon sugar alcohol compound. Sugar alcohols are neither sugar nor alcohol. They are carbohydrates that resemble sugar, but without the harmful effects of sugar. They can occur naturally in plants or can be manufactured from sugar and starches. Today, the most common source of xylitol is from corn cob and corn stalk. Because Xylitol disrupts harmful dental bacteria, it is a natural dental antidote for sugar.
Saliva is a natural cleansing agent for teeth. As people age, they do not make as much saliva. Additionally, a common side effect of several medications is a dry mouth. A dry mouth is an environment that will promote the growth of bacteria. When Xylitol is consumed there is less plaque buildup. It also encourages the production of saliva which will naturally cleanse the teeth and decay-causing bacteria are less likely to stick to the teeth. Xylitol also helps decrease tooth sensitivity.
The frequency of Xylitol consumed, is really more important than the amount consumed. The recommended dosage for children is 3g to 8g per day, and for adults, 6g to 12g per day. Since there are always harmful bacteria in our mouths, xylitol is most effective if consumed throughout the day. “Strive for five” exposures of xylitol every day. These exposures should be divided into several doses throughout the day in the form of toothpaste, mouthwash, mints, and chewing gum.
Call the office (519-471-7373) to inquire about our Xylitol products for: sensitive teeth, children and adults at risk for cavities, and for people who suffer from dry mouth (xerostomia). We carry Xylitol toothpaste, mints and gum which are Gluten & OGM Free, have a Low glycemic index of 13, and are 100% natural & come from vegetable sources
For more information on Xylitol go to: http://www.xylitolinfo.com/home.html
Note: Keep Xylitol away from dogs – just like chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic and some other foods, Xylitol is harmful to dogs.